As I’ve mentioned before, hard-surface flooring is best suited for those with asthma and allergies because wall-to-wall carpeting is a common home for dust mites that can trigger an allergic reaction in many people. Carpet is also difficult to keep dry and moisture is a breeding ground for mold.
But not any old hard-surface flooring will do. Certain kinds of wood, tile, slate, or synthetic surfaces are better than others, so it is important to make sure chemicals that can irritate the skin and airways—such as urea, phenyls, and formaldehyde—are not present in large quantities. This type of flooring should be moisture resistant, which helps keep mold and mildew from growing in your home. It should also be easily cleanable with a recommended cleaning method that not only doesn’t introduce new toxins or irritants, but actually reduces allergens and irritants in your home.
Tarkett’s residential and commercial FiberFloor are a more suitable option for people with asthma and allergies because it is scientifically proven to considerably reduce your exposure to allergens. This hard surface flooring has been scientifically proven to:
- Collect very little allergen;
- Have a recommended cleaning procedure that is effective at removing allergen build-up;
- Not significantly add to airborne allergen levels; and
- Reduce exposure to airborne solvents and other irritants or toxic materials during and after installation.
But there’s even more to it. In order for flooring to meet the above requirements, it must fulfill the following standards:
- Be easily cleaned, and as a result of cleaning, reduce allergens;
- As a result of cleaning, airborne allergens levels must remain low; and
- Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) must remain below safe levels after installation.
Because Tarkett FiberFloor meets all of these requirements, it is Certified asthma & allergy friendly™ by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
This flooring collection is durable and designed not to shrink or expand. It’s also available in numerous designs and color options to fit just about any room or style. The floor also requires less preparation, tools, and time to install, so it’s a great solution for DIYers and pros alike. To find more information about Tarkett FiberFloor and locate a retailer near you, click here.